Sunday, January 24, 2016

Kool Kulfi



Growing up, my mom always made the best mango kulfi (mango un-churned ice cream), and so I decided to take a stab at it. I have to admit that my version is no where near as good as hers, so I will have to get her recipe or continue to experiment. Still, I think it was a decent first stab. Here is the recipe, and I'll update as I continue to revise it!

Ingredients (makes 12-14):
2 cups of milk
1 can (15oz) of mangos
3 tbsp almonds
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (to taste)
2 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 3 tbsp milk

Soak the almonds in water for at least an hour. Once soaked, the peels should easily come off. Heat the milk on low for 15min. Add the sugar and let it completely dissolve. Add the corn starch mixture, and continue to heat on low (continuously mixing) until the milk mixture thickens to the consistency of a cream sauce (try to get it as thick as possible, without getting any lumps). Use a blender to liquefy the mangoes and almonds into a smooth pulp. Add the thickened milk to the mango mixture, mix well, and pour into silicone molds. Freeze until hardened. Enjoy!

Addendum: I just made these for a second time and they came out waaayy better! Here are some revisions to the recipe: 1. I increased the amount of sugar from 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup, 2. I used less corn starch 1-2 tsp, 3. I strained the milk before blending with the mangoes to remove any lumps, 4. I drained the mangoes before adding, 5. after fully blended, I used the 'whip' setting of the blender for a while--this made the end product a lot creamier. The straining and draining reduces the quantity, but it is well worth it!

2 comments: