Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Exuberant Ellie



Last weekend I threw a baby shower for my friends M and M--and it was finally an opportunity to bake a fun cake! They do not yet know the gender of their baby, so I decided to stay in the gender neutral arena of greens and yellows (although my sea green looks a little more blue in this picture). I also had a little surprise inside...the actual cake was pink and blue to inspire the guests to guess what the baby will be. I volunteered to bake all the birthday cakes for this baby as I have decided that colorful kid-themed cakes are the most fun to make! I am super excited for M and M, and can't wait to have a little tyke to spoil and play with!



This banana hazelnut cake is a semi-out-of-the-box recipe, basically modified to make it eggless and add the banana/hazelnut. Here is the cake recipe:

Ingredients:
1 box of Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix
1.25 cups milk
1 ripe banana, mashed
1-3 tablespoons of Nutella
oil and flour to grease/flour the pan
food coloring (optional) 
frosting of your choice (my favorite is cream cheese)

Preheat the oven to 350°C. Instead of adding eggs and oil as the recipe on the back of the box recommends, add the milk, banana, and Nutella. I normally use 2-3 tablespoons of Nutella, but since I wanted the pink and blue to show up inside and not be too muddied, this time I only used one tablespoon. Whisk together. I usually use the whisk attachment on my hand blender. I split my batter into two parts and dyed them with red and blue food coloring. Grease a cake pan lightly and then sift a couple tablespoons of dry flour over the oil before adding the batter. This makes flipping the cake out of the pan super easy! The batter was thick enough that I could first pour in the blue batter and then the pink, and it did not mix or marble much. Bake at 350°C for 30mins. Let cool for at least 30mins, slide a butter knife around the edges to help loosen the cake from the pan, and then flip out onto a sturdy surface such as a chopping board. Frost. Decorate. Enjoy!

Like this post? Here are three different ways you can follow my blog!
1. Add your address down below where it says "follow by email"
2. Instagram: follow me at @playfulpalette
3. Add playfulpalette and all of your other favorite blogs to your Bloglovin'. Find new updates to all the blogs in one place!

3 comments:

  1. Ellie! You should mention this to Shreyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a delicious cake - I think I ate a whole half of it! I really enjoyed the banana flavor - and of course the awesome decorations :) Thank you, thank you Auntie Jayodita!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...well I ate the other half! And seriously can't wait to meet the little one...how long till they are allowed to eat baked goods? :)

      Delete