Saturday, January 30, 2016

Playfully Poached Pears


Our friend V invited us over on Friday for a dinner party. Her spread was amazing! I decided to contribute a dessert, and was in the mood for a fruit tart. However, it is so hard to find good fruit in the winter, even here in California, and this makes winter fruit tarts a bit of a challenge. I found pears at the produce market, and decided to try a pear tart in bourbon caramel. I used the same rose pattern as my apple tart, but with pears and--did I mention--bourbon caramel :)



Ingredients:
3 pears (bosc or d'anjou would work well, and red d'anjou would look even prettier!)
9'' pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup of orange juice
5-7 tbsp of brown sugar to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp clove powder
4 tbsp bourbon

Slice the pears 1/16 - 1/8'' thick. Toss the pears with 1-2 tbsp of sugar. Arrange pears in the pie crust (I roughly added a layer of pears on the bottom before assembling the rose to add height.) In a small saucepan, add orange juice, remaining sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low and let simmer for 5min (stir continuously). Add the bourbon, and continue to simmer and stir until it thickens to a caramel sauce. Pour evenly over the pie, and bake at 400°F for 20-25min.  

A is out of the country, and didn't get to try any, so I know I'll be making this again!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, A wants to try! Also, you consumed the bourbon without me?

    ReplyDelete