Sunday, August 16, 2015

Horse Hues

 

I love to paint, but as you can tell from the absence of paintings on my blog, I hardly ever have the time to do so. This was a painting that took me months to complete and even longer to hang up. But I did finally get it up, and I love it on my yellow wall! I have done a few paintings in the orange-yellow palette, as I love the warmth of it, but this was my first in the blue-yellow combo. I struggled a bit getting the motion of the mane to work, and I am used to using much finer lines, but somehow, I ended up with this, and I really like it.  


The story  of just how long of a project this was...
It became a running joke, as friends would come over and find it lying on the living room floor with no progress in the weeks since they last visited. It took me just under a year! Worse, I have a really bad habit of finding painting inspiration in random objects, and my poor parents have struggled with this my whole life. I have painted rocks, and pine cones, candles, tin cans, etc. When I was in elementary school, I did detailed sketches of little girls on the backs of Macy's garment boxes. My mom loved them, and still has them up in her house, but they don't make standard frames for Macy's boxes. My poor mom had to get custom frames for them! I painted this horse on an old side panel of an IKEA dresser--a random piece of ply-board. Of course, I don't have the engineering know-how to hang this up, so it sat on my floor for over a year, until my dad came over and devised a way to hang it. At last, it is up and brings so much color to my room! I am making a promise to myself to paint more (and on canvas), and I promise you that I'll post them on my new page, 'Paint Splatters'!

1 comment: