Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Tattooed Treats



I recently got married, and it is Indian tradition for the bride's hands and feet to be covered in henna (mehndi). My mom and I weren't about to let the mehndi artist have all the fun, and so we decided to try our hand at decorating cookies with similar designs. These are sugar cookies with royal icing, and I tried to use some typical mehndi patterns such as the paisley, scallops, and flowers.

It took me a while to get used to using the royal icing. It had a different texture than the cake icing I usually use, and it was a lot harder to do a fine piping. Still, I think the cookies ended up being a fun and colorful addition to the festivities! I am also in so much awe of my mehndi artist--it is no easy task!

Photo cred: Sanjukta Mathur


2 comments:

  1. jay this is so great! love your writing style, and those cookies are just perfect! would have thought it would have to be a mehndi artist who is also a professional decorative cake baker who made them. the photography is great, too. hope you keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete